Are you planning to hire an attorney and encountered difficulties in choosing the right one for your needs? If yes, you are not alone because there are thousands of individuals out there who have trouble assessing the right lawyer for their needs.
With the thousands of lawyers found in the market, for sure, you are also confused on where to find and whom to hire. These problems should not hinder you from hiring the best to defend your case. Read the article below to gain useful tips and techniques on selecting the right attorney.
Searching the right attorney for your business, divorce, bankruptcy or fraud case is not easy because not all of them care and look after the welfare of their clients. With myriad lawyers around, it could be daunting and confusing on your part as to whom to choose. Lawyers are not equal and they have their own fields of specialization, like bankruptcy law, finance law, drinking under the influence (DUI) law and many more. You need different kinds of barristers for your different needs. It would be silly and impractical if you hire divorce lawyer for your tax needs or hire a DUI lawyer for your bankruptcy needs, thus you should carefully assess your needs first before considering who to hire.
Different types of attorneys:
- Divorce lawyers – they specialize in handling annulment and divorce cases. They can help you with financial planning, child visitation and custody, mediation and many more.
- Bankruptcy lawyers – they help you in handling insolvency and bankruptcy problems of individuals, organizations and companies. They assist you in avoiding property foreclosures and repossession.
- Civil lawyers – they handle lawsuits between individuals, companies and organizations. They tackle property disputes, marriage, divorce, wrongful death and malpractice.
- Criminal lawyers – they specialize in defending you from the criminal offenses you committed, like fraud, murder, robbery or larceny.
- Family lawyers – they tackle family-related issues, like paternity, domestic violence, adoption, child visitation rights or divorce.
- Malpractice lawyers – they help victims of professional malpractice, such as medical malpractice. Malpractice of medical professionals often affect victims’ health, job or family.
- Accident lawyers – they help victims of accidents get the right compensation due them.
- Tax lawyers – they assist you with your tax returns and other issues related to taxes, such as tax evasion.
- Immigration lawyers – they worked with government agencies and assist you in any immigration-related problems.
After you determine what type of lawyer you need, you must then conduct research, surf the Internet and ask referrals from friends, relatives and colleagues on sources of lawyers. Short list candidates according to their experience, location, professional fees, license and track record. Before you decide which one to hire, ask first telephone numbers of their previous clients so you can call them and inquire about their performance. Know how many cases they have lost or won.
Make use of free consultations offered by some attorneys. It is a great opportunity for you to ask them questions, inquire about your case and ask list of client references.